Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

I recently found some old bank records (e.g., account statements, certificate of deposit receipts, passbooks). The bank does not exist anymore, and the new bank cannot locate any record of the account. What should I do?

You may wish to contact the unclaimed-property office or state treasurer for the state where the account was held for assistance. You can locate your state office's website at

Federal record retention laws require that banks retain most account records for five years.

All states have programs requiring banks to transfer funds held in abandoned accounts to the state. This is often referred to as escheatment.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us