Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Customer Assistance: 1-800-613-6743

Get Answers to Your Banking Questions

What happens if my state provides greater protection against freezing or garnishing my money than federal law?

The law of your state may exempt more funds from garnishment than the protection provided to certain federal benefits.

Review any notice or other information that you received about the garnishment for information about how to protect funds. You may also seek legal assistance or contact your state’s Consumer Protection Agency for more information.

Last Reviewed: April 2021

Please note: The terms "bank" and "banks" used in these answers generally refer to national banks, federal savings associations, and federal branches or agencies of foreign banking organizations that are regulated by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Find out if the OCC regulates your bank. Information provided on should not be construed as legal advice or a legal opinion of the OCC.

Still need help?

Contact Us